Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day 6 - Perspectives


So today we took a trip down to Les Cayes, after working until about noon.  Our plan was to see the Cancer Redemption Project, as well as the SEED ministries.  Both of these we were able to accomplish, as well as eat at a favorite restaurant called the "Hotspot".   This place is known for its American food, such as hamburgers, cheeseburgers, ice cream, pizza as well as some Haitian fare.  I was about to order a cheeseburger, but decided that it would be too cliché after only being in Haiti for a couple of days.  As often as I eat hamburgers (not real often) I figured I could hold off for a while.  Instead I decided to get the BBQ Goat.  It was actually really good, and came with excellent french fries.  Apparently Goat is like the Haitian steak.  It is more expensive than other meats, and held in a little higher esteem.  Typically it seems to be kind've dry and tough, but the flavor is really good, and besides the little chunks of bones that you have to watch out for it isn't too bad.

 

Anyways, We took the 12 mile, 1-hour trip down the rough mountain road to CRP and met Jan Gutwein at the gates.   From there we got to tour the homes and see the kids there.  It was fun, and they sang songs to us at each of the houses we went to.

 

From there we went to SEED ministries, and was able to talk to the director about the ministry that they have there.  Which was cool.

 

Everyday I think I get a little more insight into Haiti.  Today, as I observed the people and lifestyle, I began to see that not all of Haiti is bad.  I think coming in, we think of it being poor, and 3rd world and in desperate need of help.  Which is partly true.  There is definitely a great need here.  But at the same time, there is a lot of normality here.  There are normal people, living normal lives here, even though some of them are in the midst of poverty.  This is the way that they know, this is their life. We are foreigners in this land.  We are coming into this, and in my case, blindly.  I have to put myself in their shoes and look at their life from a human perspective.   There is a need, that is clear, but just seeing an unpainted house, a dirt road, or someone leading a donkey doesn't mean that our vinyl-sided houses and mini-vans give us an edge, or a better life-style.  There are happy people here, who have human issues and struggles.  People who need friends and relationships.  There are sincere hearts and hurting hearts.  There is need here, but how much more is it here, than at home?

 

I find it interesting in this trip, I have received so much support and prayers from people because of this endeavor, which I appreciate a lot.  But for me, this trip doesn't seem much more significant, or harder than my everyday walk at home.  In many ways it seems to be easier, in fact.  Here I am able to escape my real life issues for a while, and go and visit in a foreign world.  My real life will commence again when school starts back up in August.  I then have to return to the realities of my problems.  I'm just thinking here, and I am not saying this perspective is right, just something going through my mind.  How many people are there around us who need support way more than a boy traveling in a foreign land for a couple of months?  Not to diminish any prayers or support for me or for missionaries.  That is greatly appreciated I know, but we can't forget the incredible mission of the everyday mundane.  That is where the real need is.  People at home are hurting just as much inside than people down here.

 

Now, the need in Haiti is great.  I am not diminishing that. Economically there are some huge issues,  But do we overlook the needs right in front of us because it doesn't look like a shabby house, or bare feet?

 

Today's Prayer:

Father, we praise you for all that you have done.  You are holy and mighty and righteous.  We bless your name.  May your will be done in all the earth, and may your name be called holy.   Lord thank you for using us.  Thank you for directing our lives and for pulling us out of the miry clay.  We plead, lord, that you would continue to guide us, and direct our lives for your use. We pray that you would take care of us and our everyday needs, as you would see fit.  Please give us joy and peace Lord,  comfort us in trials.  Lord please give us wisdom and understanding according to your will.  May your spirit go out before us, and prepare the way, so that we could be of service.  We praise you for your love.  We praise you for not giving up on us, and for calling us sons and daughters.  We praise you for your sacrifice for us.  Jesus thank you for dying for us, may the name of the Father be glorified.  We ask, Spirit, that you would intercede for us.  Please add to this prayer where it lacks.  In the name of Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment