Sunday, May 12, 2013

Day 9(ish) - A Page Is Turned

So fyi I am probably not going to post everyday anymore, and
 
 
So a lot happened today.  I am now in uncharted territory and fishing a bit in the dark.  Up until this point, things have been pretty typical from a work team standpoint.  I am fairly used to week-long work trips, but now we are entering into the second week, and a new chapter in this Journey.

 

This morning we woke up at around 5 in order for the team to finish packing and hit the road.  I was called upon to be a second driver, which is a new story all in itself.  But anyway I was glad to be able to see the team off.  Watching them go was interesting, as I have always been on that bus.  This last week, that team really opened up their arms to me, and I felt that I was a part of the team, even though I didn't really know any of them when I met them exactly a week ago.  Seriously! That was only a week ago??  Although it went really fast, It felt like I had known them for a lot longer. 

 

Now as I look ahead, these next few weeks are going to be a complete turn around.  The Aberle House is still not completely finished, there's a few odds and ends to finish up, but I think it may be on hold for a little bit from the way it sounds.  Daryl and I talked today about some projects that he had for me to work on.  One thing that I was worried about was that I was expected to become a handyman and fix all the technical problems that arose.  Where I am willing to do some of this, that is definitely not my expertise.  But the project that Daryl presented to me this afternoon was far different.  The problem is, as Daryl put it, we are fighting fires, just one urgent matter comes up after the next.  Things like the Hydro-Electric generator breaking down, or getting clogged, or trucks breaking down.  Things of that nature.  So the vision is to create a maintenance system that would allow for us to prevent these issues by a routine maintenance plan of some sort.  Systems are my thing, So I've been thinking through solutions on this.  We talked about a few other things as well, but I'm not going to write them all at this point.  That is for another time.

 

So tonight I am once again spending the night in a new bed, which should be my final resting place for a little while at least.  They moved me down to "The Couples Cottage" to stay for the remainder of my time here.  We got some groceries and food and such, so now I am set for a while I think.  Lunch will still be made by Mona, our Haitian Cook, but breakfast and supper I take care of now.   I have my own place for now, which I think will be nice.  I have a nice big desk, which I am sitting at now, my own bedroom and bathroom and kitchen, so that is fairly exciting.  I don't plan to spend a ton of time here, but it is nice to have some peace to unwind in the evening.

 

Now, the thought of being on mission has been on my mind lately.  Obvious maybe, but even though I am serving a short-term missionary, doesn't automatically mean I am on mission.  I know God has called me here, so at least that is a start.  I am confident that I am where God wants me to be, but now the trick is how do I handle myself now?  I am praying to God to open up my heart.  I am pretty open to sharing my heart, and talking to new people and making friends, but there is still a deep wall that I have put up against most people.  There are a select few that aren't held out by that wall.  I didn't realize how big it was until I identified it.  I pray that God will open my heart up, and that I could just have a love for those around me.  We went out to eat tonight and I got to spend some time with some of the kids, which was fun, but also made me realize that my heart wasn't very open to them.  And if not to them, who else am I blocking out that I need to open up to that needs it?  What areas have I been so focused on myself that I forget the mission.  God has given me gifts, and can use me if my heart is open, but sadly to say it isn't always, and recently has been pretty closed.  So I pray that God opens up this heart of mine, and uses me for His glory.

 

Today's Prayer:

Father,  I bow before you and thank you.  Thank you so much for the team that I was able to spend time with this past week.  Bless them Lord, that they could have made it home tonight safely.  That now as they return to their daily lives that they would not forget this week, these relationships, this need, your hand this week.  I pray that I would not forget them, and their love.  Lord may they continue to pray for the missionaries here. For the mission and for the people.  May this trip have softened their hearts, and that the spirit could have worked deeply within them. 

Father I pray that you would keep us on mission.  That you would break down barriers in my heart, and give me an open heart to those around me.  That I could get myself out of the picture, and that my body may be a vessel for you.  You have me Lord, so please guide me and use me for your purpose.  Bless this mission. Bless Daryl and Norma, and Eric and Jamie and Lee and Desma and their families.  Bless Rick and Komari as they would make this massive change in their life.  Bless their family Lord that their hearts and minds would be on you Lord.  Grant them your strength, grace and peace, and may they experience your power.  We Love them all Lord, the Team, the missionaries, the Haitians.   Spirit, help us, guide us, and intercede for us we beg you.  Through the power of the Blood of our Lord Jesus.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Hay Stu,

    Rule to live by...never use "final resting place" to describe anything your doing, especially if your mom may read it and especially on Mother's Day.

    Stay safe man,

    ReplyDelete