Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Shooting on Campus

So today around noon I got a text from Purdue's texting service that a shooting had been reported on campus in the EE building and to avoid the area.  We get bulletins like this fairly frequently if there is a robbery or if there is something else happens.  Typically they don't mean much to me and I ignore them, so when I read it, my initial response was just to ignore it.  In the next few hours, though, the reality of what had happened started to sink in.  Apart from the text and an e-mail stating the same thing, I didn't have any other information.  I was at the apartment and just stayed there.  I had a class at 1:30 which is about when they sent another e-mail stating that campus was safe again, so with a few reservations I headed to my 1:30 class.  The only conversation that I heard on my walk was about what happened and speculation of what was really going on.  I was slightly apprehensive as my classroom was right next to EE and I walked right by officers to get to my class. There were a few helicopters circling which gave a very eerie feeling to the campus. Needless to say it was hard for anyone to really concentrate in my next two labs.  We carried on pretty much business as usual, though.  It wasn't until I started to read the news reports that I started to feel that this was way out of place.  It isn't everyday you can go to CNN and find your university on breaking news. 

From the information I have gotten so far: there was one shooter who targeted a TA.  He walked into the laboratory, shot the TA and then walked out and gave himself up to the police.  There were rumors of multiple suspects and multiple casualties but those seemed to just be rumors. 

As of now, they have cancelled classes for the rest of today and for tomorrow (after the ones I went to of course).  It was initially exciting that we got classes off, but again it is weird because of the reasoning for it. Anyway so yeah it has been a strange day.

No comments:

Post a Comment