Monday, August 19, 2013

It's A Whole New World

I am now writing again from my desk here at Purdue.  So Thursday night we had an amazing evening with the missionaries and translators.  We had a dinner at the Klopfenstein House, then dessert at the Lugenbuhl's then a campfire in the newly dug pit back at Klopfensteins.  That was an amazing night of fellowship and it was definitely the way I wanted to spend my last day there.  Bazelais (sounds like bozly) showed off his amazing guitar skills as us Americans roasted marshmallows.  It was a really neat way to spend the night together. 

We had to be leaving the compound at 3:15 in order for me to catch the bus to the airport, which meant getting up at 2:45, which meant that sleeping wasn't going to do a whole lot for me that night, so we didn't.  We stayed around the campfire for a while, then hung out and then headed up to the roof for one last look at the Haitian starts before heading back to the states.

The trip went smoothly, there was a slight amount of confusion finding the right bus.  We got my stuff loaded up, asked if it was the bus to Port-au-Prince, they assured me it was, and then we asked if it was the voyager II, and thankfully we did because it turns out it wasn't our bus.  Anyway we caught the next one and all was fine.  I was able to do a lot of napping on the way back, which was especially nice for the 4-5 hour drive to Port... Not my favorite ride, especially at 4 in the morning.  But all went well.

On the plane back, I was looking forward to not talking to anyone, but it turns out that the guy next to me didn't have the same feeling.  It turned out fine though, he was a neat guy and we had a good conversation about our faith.  One nice thing about that flight is that most white folk are missionaries, so spiritual conversations are easy to have. 

In our conversation he asked me, "where is home for you?"  My immediate response was "I don't know."  We chuckled a little bit, and explained that I grew up in Indiana, go to Purdue, such and such.  But as the saying goes, Home is where your heart is, and I have to say that part of my heart was left in Haiti.  So now the journey continues as I walk in faith.  It is amazing that 3 months ago I was dreading going to Haiti, then a few days ago I was dreading leaving.  I have to say I left extremely blessed.  So many great relationships were formed, and good times had.  I am thankful that God called me down, and I just pray that His will has been done through me.  Even through my mistakes, shortcomings and weaknesses, I know that He is more powerful.  May God be Glorified.

Now here I sit, in a completely different world.  The transition has been pretty tough.  It's hard to get my mind wrapped around school work again.  I'm so thankful to have such warm memories to look back on.  I know that I am still where God has put me.  He is still guiding me, and for that I am thankful. 




2 comments:

  1. You mean to tell me that you PULLED AN ALL-NIGHTER your last night?!?! :-p Looks like you had a fun time, anyways

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Right?

    Mine was filled with friends and memories, though. Not filled with work and stress :)

    ReplyDelete