Tuesday, May 14, 2013

I've got a horn and I know how to use it (sort of)


So today Daryl and I went to Les Cayes again, this time with Stu behind the wheel.  I've driven the mountain road a few times, which was slow, but not too bad.  Today we stepped it up and took it to downtown Cayes.  This is where things got interesting.  Sheila gave me some good advise though, "Use your Horn!"  and so I did.  Traffic kind of just meshes there.  You just gotta know when to hold it, know when to gun it, know when to tap the brakes, know when to stop.  You  never count on breathing, till you’re through the 'section.  They're be time enough for blinking, when the drivin's done.  Sorry, that song was going through my head today.  It felt appropriate. 

 

Anyway,  Daryl had some banking affairs to attend to, while I stayed with the vehicle.   So that meant I got to sit on the Haitian street and watch their life go by.  It was actually really interesting.  I think I saw a little bit of everything there.  Apparently they didn't like our dirty truck either because it about got washed at least twice.  I was largely ignored by the people there, which was fine by me.  I was just an observer.  An occasional person would stop by the window now and then, presumably for money, but mostly I was left alone.  I was outside of a little cell phone shop where three Haitians with files and soldering irons were fixing phones apparently.  I saw a cyclist have a little mishap (driver and bike were fine).  Apparently there is a college or a school of some sort close by because I saw a lot of people in a school uniform.  It was pretty cool just being able to see their life unfold.  I saw some very well-dressed people, and I saw a guy in a cowboy hat with worn out PJ's under his Jean shorts.

 

But yeah,  after that Daryl came back, and we grabbed lunch at the HotSpot again.  One of the Haitians working there grew up in Texas, and only recently moved back.  So we talked to him for a little while.  He was talking about how much he liked Haiti and didn't like Texas.  Which at first was sort of a shock, but then after thinking about it, Why Not? He had a job, and Haitian culture is very unique.  So if you can fit into it, I can see why people would like it.  Also, beyond the city, pollution, and sporadic fires of random items.  There is a lot of beauty in Haiti.  We get to thinking that we have it figured out, but Haitian culture is much more entertaining than American culture is.  Going to Wal-Mart is pretty bland compared to the market and street vendors. 

 

So after we got back from there I was going to go hiking, but I didn't really have a lot of time before we were going to go babysit for the kids during the Missionaries' meeting.  So instead, as much as I don't usually play basketball, I decided to  give it a go.  It actually turned out to be a lot of fun.  None of us are really great, or take it too seriously, so we were able to just have some fun.  Then after that we babysat, and played an intense game of Rook, which Jared and I came back to win. 

 

So I guess an update on who is around, the Klopfenstein Kids just moved up this week.  They were living in Les Cayes, but now are about to move into their new place.  So Jared and Beth are their oldest, so it was them, Alyssa and I babysitting tonight, as well as playing basketball. 

 

Daryl and I had a good conversation today on the maintenance project he told me about, and I think we are making headway.  From here I think we need to do some brainstorming together to identify some of the key issues, then start putting a plan in place for a preventative maintenance plan, as well as a requisition system for repairs and such.  I did some research this morning to get some ideas, so now as we identify issues, we will go from there with the specific need and characteristics of the hospital.

 

Well folk's that’s about all she wrote for today.  I am ready to pack it in, and get ready for a new day tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment