Monday, May 27, 2013

Hitting Stride...


...as much as is possible here.  Each week seems to be a completely different experience.  The first I was part of a construction team, the second week there were no teams and I was still fitting in, third week there was a medical team and things really began to click, which brings us to this week, where there is a team coming in tomorrow or Wednesday (Steiner family whom I will leave with).

 

These last few weeks have been really good socially.  The relationships with the families and kids down here are continuing to grow.  This weekend Jared, Bekah, Beth Klopfenstein, Alyssa, me (Bekah and Beth are twins, I just hadn't met Bekah before my last post) took a trip to Les Cayes and got to spend the weekend with some of the missionaries down there. Specifically Leah Kaeb and Rachelle Grube.  Friday we played some volleyball and hung out, went out to the country a bit to see the stars/storm coming in.  Being the rainy season, and in the mountains, there seems to always be a storm around somewhere.  It typically doesn't hit us directly, but we can see the lightening from a distance and hear distant thunder.  Last night we got pounded with rain though.  It was like a monsoon.  Crazy.

 

Anyway, Saturday we went to the beach, and were met by the Eric Hartzler family later on.   Haiti beaches are about the best I've been on.  They aren't terribly crowded, water is clear and warm, there is palm tree cover if you want shade.  I continually find it such a shame that as beautiful as Haiti is, so much of it has been trashed, clear cut, or otherwise destroyed.  That is about the story of it all.  Even the path back to my cottage is strewn with trash and rotting fruit.   On campus their waste management system is a 5ft wide by 18 ft deep pit behind the house where trash is thrown.  Or it is simply thrown of the side of the mountain (literally).

 

But like I mentioned, I sort of hit stride somewhere in there, and the past two weeks have flown by.  I can't believe that I only have a week left before heading back to the states.  I'll be somewhat glad to be back in the states.  It will be good to be home for a bit of the summer.  When I come back again in July it will again be a completely different experience.  I will have a new perspective for one, but also there will be a lot of change in people. I have been able to connect really well with the kids my age down here, Alyssa and the Klopfensteins.  And they will both be leaving after I do, and Alyssa won't be back while I'm here, and Klopfenstein Kids won't be back until end of July.  On the flip side, Daryl's grandson will be down here, as well as Rick and Komari Aberle and their family.  So again nothing stays the same.

 

Climate wise, I've either gotten used to it, or it cooled down or both. But although it is humid, it can get pretty chilly.  I brought a sweatshirt feeling kind of dumb for wasting space, but I've actually used in on more than one occasion.  Mostly in the evenings when I'm not up and about as much. I was actually downright cold the other night and had a sweatshirt and a blanket on.  When I first got here, Alyssa would be wearing sweatshirts in the evenings and I thought she was crazy. Now I am starting to see why.  Although She definitely is colder blooded than I am. 

 

After our weekend trip in Cayes, it is easier to see why it seems cold.  Down off the mountain it gets 10-15 degrees warmer.  So once you get used to that, coming back up makes it seem a lot cooler. Biggest thing is humidity. It isn't uncommon for it to be 90-100%.  I'm not entirely sure what the temp is, as I haven't really looked at a thermometer since I've been here, but I would guess somewhere around 80 and humid during the day.

 

Last week we were able to attend a Haitian church concert.  Haitian singing is so much fun to watch.  In the states we sing using our ears, Haitians sing using their hearts.  Usually their first couple of songs are warm ups, accompanied by the occasional light  swaying, but as they get warmed up they just can't seem to help but get moving.  They feel the music until it becomes too much for their mouth alone to express.  They begin to step to the beat, heads and shoulders bobbing to the beat, and then some of the hands will go up in a light dance.   I have some videos that I doubt I'll be able to post, but I will try.  I will attempt to get some pics up too, but that is tricky, and I haven't had much luck so far.  Plus we have been having internet issues. 

 

Relationships with the Haitians have been growing as well.  Linonce (LEE-NOS) is Daryl's right hand man, and we've spent a good amount of time together.  We even took a trip to a manufacturing plant to pick up a part for the Hydro electric system.  Jimmy is a Physical Therapist and he and Franzu, our translator who are good friends took us to see a cave and a bit of the countryside.   My Creol is improving, I’m catching words here and there, but it is still pretty sad.  Doing online lessons are tricky again because of the internet, but I may invest in some of the Language software, and especially when I get home practice so that I can get it down.  Its sad going back to square one after working so hard on Spanish, but I guess it will be good. Plus side is that they say Creol is one of the easiest languages to learn.

 

Today's Prayer:

Lord I thank you for your faithfulness and guiding hand.  I thank you for the people I have been able to interact with.  Bless them Lord and guide them in their Journey.  Please Bless our relationships Lord, and our interactions to be glorifying to you.  Continue to shape me into a vessel for Thy will.  Grant me grace and strength and guidance to do as you command.  Please continue to use me down here Lord, that your will could be accomplished through me, and the talents you have given me, and the time here that you have given.  May thy name be glorified in all that I do.  May your strength be strong inside of me.  You are Holy and Mighty, In Jesus Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment