Monday, February 24, 2014

life rafting

I perceive the Christian experience like riding a raft down a river.  Sometimes the water is still and slow.  We can be discontent and wish more was going on, or we can soak up the sun and enjoy the view and set up for the next event.  Sometimes we encounter little bumps, push through shallow areas, avoid rocks.  Sometimes we get hung up on a rock, which is OK as long as we get off of it and learn how to avoid them.  Sometimes you come to a bend, and can only guess what is coming up next.  We get hungry and we get thirsty, but fortunately the raft is well stocked.  And occasionally we encounter a rapid, where all we can do is hang on and trust in our master guide.  If we try to get ahead of the current we will wear ourselves out, and become discouraged.  If we try to go slower than the current then we won't be prepared for what is coming, and it will feel like we are getting dragged along.  So we must stay with the current, and keep up with the will of God.

I hit some rapids this week for sure.  Not in a bad way at all, but the river is running very quickly and I'm clinging on to this raft.  It is an exhilarating ride for sure!  I cling to this raft trust that my guide knows how to navigate this river.  It is fun, actually.  If I didn't trust my guide I would be afraid, and there still is definitely a quality of unknown danger, but that is part of the thrill.   

OK so what is this big rapid you are talking about? Fair enough.  In the past week I have gotten two job offers, and along with those comes the obvious question of which one to chose and for what reasons.  Also, there comes the question of living arrangements, and alas, my vehicle is not great for traveling.  I have always known that this year would come with some extreme changes, and now I am getting to a place of making some directly life changing decisions.  I trust my guide to show me the way, and that together we will make it through,  I just have to remember to enjoy the ride! 

No comments:

Post a Comment