Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Same Thing Completely New


So I made it back safe and sound.  These last two weeks absolutely flew by.  I was not sure how things were going to go again this time.  So many of the people that I had gotten to know would not be here for several weeks, and there were new people to try and figure out again.  But God has provided and it has been really good.

 

 Daryl's grandson Josh has been down here.  He is going into his senior year of high school.  He and I have been working pretty closely these last few weeks on a project Daryl placed us on.  You can see some Haitians trenching in the last pics I posted.  That is the beginning of a new internet system that we have been working to put in.  Those trenches are for fiber optic lines going to 4 main hubs, then the internet will branch out from there to the rest of the houses.  Through this project we have worked pretty close with several of the Haitians.  It has been astounding at how tough these guys are.  As you can see from the pictures, they are using pick axes and shovels to trench somewhere around 3000 feet through roots, rock, road and concrete.  They would work all day without seeming to wear down at all.  I worked with them for a little over an hour one day and had blisters all over my hands and was about beat.  They are incredible workers.  As of now all of the fiber optic has been laid, and now we are waiting on getting the internet wire to string to the houses, as well as inside of the hospital.  I don't anticipate the outside wire being terribly long or difficult.  For this part we get a couple of Haitians to climb up the trees and run the wire from tree to tree into each house. 

 

Aside from that, Bob Beebe was here for the first week, and he and I shared the cottage.  He has returned to the states, so I have the cottage to myself again.  As far as a social aspect, the group is a little smaller, but new friendships have again been built.  Heather Steiner, Josh and I are all about the same age here.  So several evenings we have been able to sing together, whether at the hospital or at one of the houses.  I think I have had something going on about every night.  Things just keep popping up, and I have been staying pretty busy.  The climax of our project has passed I think, so we may not be staying quite as busy, and may have to start looking again for smaller projects. 

 

We also had a sea container come in with a bunch of supplies.  Josh and I were delegated to unload and help categorize what was coming off.  We got to see several sets of items donated from the states, packaged by various churches. That was neat,  Usually we send them off, but this time we were able to see them come in.

 

This container was quite full, as I think most are.  Many items were placed in precariously, as were 8 infamous wooden doors.  Well, during the unpacking process, the doors which had been set upright, shifted.  They were solid doors, and very heavy.  As they started to come, I tried to reset the balance, but they were not going to be deterred.  They were coming down.  So I had a choice of getting squashed, or getting out of the way. I was able to slow the doors a bit, but I had to get down, and down I got.  Josh, however, was on the ground already, and didn't realize how heavy they were, and also was just out of reaction, reached up to try and catch the doors, and ended up breaking his arm.  So that unfortunate event led to him now being in a cast.  That hasn't dampened his spirits too bad and he is handling it well.

 

So anyway I think that Is a good taste of the events happening here.  I have another adventure to share, but I'll do that on the next post to break this up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment